1. Give support and advice on feeding. Introduce cleft management protocol and multidisciplinary approach to cleft management.
2. Publish and distribute important information for parents and healthcare providers.
3. Provide an informal link between parents and professionals.
4. Encourage and support research related to cleft.
5. Raise funds for activities and sponsorship of cleft interventions for needy families.
6. Conduct educational seminars for healthcare providers, parents and the general public.
7. Further our aims at the national level.
The main support services we provide are:
Convert anxiety of cleft parents/individuals into hope and assurance
Provide moral support and advice on the management of cleft cases
Share key information to allow parents/cleft individuals to make knowledge based decisions
Act as an informal link between parents and the healthcare providers
Encourage activities and research related to cleft
Create overall awareness through talks and forums, dissemination of leaflets, brochures
Cleft Lip and Palate Association of Malaysia (CLAPAM) is the only nationwide organisation in Malaysia supporting matters related to cleft.
Establishment of CLAPAM
Registration with the Registrar of Societies (R.O.S)
WHERE WE ARE NOW
Today, we have been around for more than 25 years. CLAPAM is managed by volunteers who are elected into position bi-annually through the Annual General Meeting. It is a self-supporting body, relying on donations mainly from members, private corporations and members of the public.
Funds received are channeled into the running of our office and to assist families with cleft children or adults born with a cleft. Our financial accounts are audited annually with relevant documents submitted to the Registrar of Society and LHDN.
We’ve raised over RM400,000 to help families from the poorest of the poor to conduct surgery.
CLAPAM collaborates with Hospitals, Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia, Corporate Bodies and individuals to achieve a common goal— that is, for Malaysians born with a cleft to be accorded appropriate opportunity to live a normal life and be a contributor to the nation.